This Dance Shawl is designed to honor the Orca Killer Whale of the Pacific Northwest Coast.
Native American Reproduction
Designed and Handloomed by Sharon Nani ~ a Non Native and owner of The Knit Tree
The Pacific Northwest Coast Art is applical to many Indian Nations ranging from Alaska to Northern California. This would include: Tlingit, Tahltan, Kaigani Haida, Nisga's, Gitksan, Haida, Haisla, Coast Tsimshian, Nuxalk, Heiltsuk, Nuxalk, Oweekeno, Nuu-chah-nulth, Makah, Coast Salish, Tolowa, Yurok, and Wiyot.
The Art of the Pacific Northwest Indian Nations is a unique art style all of its own. The different graphic shapes are used to interpret different body parts and characteristics for each animal drawing dependant upon the region. These are harder to depict in a knitwear design where the sutle curves and definite lines must fit in smaller spaces with rectangular shaped knit stitches.
Common features which are used in the "The Orca Killer Whale" are the black formline which defines all the Whale parts. Inner designs of the head use the U Shape for the Teeth and Ovoid for the eye orbit. The Body is accented with S shapes to represent the ribs . The Fluke consists of Two fins with Trigons accenting the jointing circle.
The edges of the dance shawl are bordered by a wave design.
- Pacific Northwest Coastal Art Style
- Inspired from the art of the Pacific Northwest Coast
- Hand Loomed for Quality Workmanship and Personal Care
- Double Bed Jacquard Fabric
- Main Design: Motif: Orca Killer Whale
Select Yarn Fiber under Options below:
Acrylic Yarn or Merino Wool Yarn
- photo is shown in acylic yarn fiber
- See dance shawl intro page for care instructions
- Choose your two colors from the yarn chart, follow directions below for selecting colors. Then type your color choices in the text boxes below.
- Main Image on top is shown in turquoise and Black
- Size: approximately 38" wide by 62" long
- Select Fringe length: 10" or 18"
Sizing varies slightly dependent upon the fiber, color and motif combinations
COLOR OPTIONS FOR DANCE SHAWLS
You can only make 'color substitutes for the template as pictured". Use Color Names from our Yarn Color Chart. The colors are different dependent upon your yarn fiber choice.
Refer to the the Merino Wool chart if you choose a Merino Yarn under OPTIONS
Click Here is see a View of the available Merino Wool color choices in our yarn chart with the color names
Refer to the Acrylic Yarn Chart if you choose an Acrylic Yarn
Click Here is see a View of the available Acrylic color choices in our yarn chart with the color names
The Photo used for our example:
- Color 1 is the Main or background color: Turquoise in our sample
- Color 2 is : Black in our sample