Native American Reproduction
Designed and Handloomed by Sharon Nani ~ a Non Native and owner of The Knit Tree
I often get requests from members of various Indian tribes to offer a design specific to their tribe or region. Shellena asked: "do you have any patterns or designs for the tribe "picayune rancheria of the chukchansi indians"? The Picayune Rancheria of Chukchansi Indians of California is a federally recognized tribe of indigenous people of California. They are Chukchansi or Foothills Yokuts. Picayune Rancheria is the tribe's ranchería, located in Madera County in central California.
Fortunately, I have a large library of Indian Baskets, Indian design, cultural and history books at my disposal. the inspiration for this Snakeskin Adult cap design came from several photos of Yokut baskets in the Book "California Indian Baskets" by Ralph Shanks, Lisa woo Shanks, Editor. This book had a whole chapter devoted to Yokuts Basketry, how they were made, designs, materials used and much more.
The snakeskin design was chosen to be featured on this Adult cap because it was very popular on the Foothill Yokuts baskets and was representaive of some very distinct features of their Indian baskets. This tribe of central California often designed in horizontal striping and the design was composed of both red and black designs done with black bracken fern root and redbud bark. this knit adult cap follows these design concepts. Note the horizontal bands of the snakeskin design knit with red and black on the traditional tan background.
Ralph Shanks, “Yokuts Basketry,” in A California Inian Baskets University of Washington Press, 2010),81-101.
- Inspired from photos of foothill Yokut Baskets, Indian Tribes of Central California
- Hand Loomed for Quality Workmanship and Personal Care
- choose fiber High Grade Acrylic or merino wool -
- Acrylic Machine Wash Cold Water and Machine Dry Knit Cycle, Merino Wool: Hand Wash Cold Water Lay Flat to Dry
- Design: Motif: Snakeskin
- Colors: Traditional: Tan (Camel) Red and Black
- Size one size fits most or XL
- Select hem style: roll hem or basketweave