Native American Reproduction
Designed and Handloomed by Sharon Nani ~ a Non Native and owner of The Knit Tree
I often get requests from members of various Indian tribes to offer a design specific to their tribe or region. Shellena asked: "do you have any patterns or designs for the tribe "picayune rancheria of the chukchansi indians"? The Picayune Rancheria of Chukchansi Indians of California is a federally recognized tribe of indigenous people of California. They are Chukchansi or Foothills Yokuts. Picayune Rancheria is the tribe's ranchería, located in Madera County in central California.
Fortunately, I have a large library of Indian Baskets, Indian design, cultural and history books at my disposal. the inspiration for this Snakeskin baby blanket design came from several photos of Yokut baskets in the Book "California Indian Baskets" by Ralph Shanks, Lisa woo Shanks, Editor. This book had a whole chapter devoted to Yokuts Basketry, how they were made, designs, materials used and much more.
The snakeskin design was chosen to be featured on this crib size baby blanket because it was very popular on the Foothill Yokuts baskets and was representaive of some very distinct features of their Indian baskets. This tribe of central California often designed in horizontal striping and the design was composed of both red and black designs done with black bracken fern root and redbud bark. More modern day blankets also featured red yarn twined on the edge along with quail topknots decorations. this knit baby blanket follows these design concepts. Note the red edging, representing the yarn edges and the horizontal bands of the snakeskin design knit with red and black on the traditional tan background.
Ralph Shanks, “Yokuts Basketry,” in A California Inian Baskets University of Washington Press, 2010),81-101.
- Inspired from photos of foothill Yokut Baskets, Indian Tribes of Central California and request from Shellena Bushman-Nelson from the tribe "picayune rancheria of the chukchansi indians"
- Hand Loomed for Quality Workmanship and Personal Care
- High Grade Acrylic for Superior Quality -
- Machine Wash Cold Water and Machine Dry Knit Cycle
- Design: Motif: Snakeskin
- Colors: Traditional: Tan (Camel) Red and Black shown on photo, you may choose your own colors under options below.
- Size: Blanket : 32" x 44"
- Add a matching cap to make a great baby layette gift set
COLOR OPTIONS FOR BLANKET
You can only make 'color substitutes for the template as pictured". Use Color Names from our Yarn Color Chart.
Refer to the Acrylic Yarn Chart if you choose an Acrylic Yarn
Click Here is see a View of the available Acrylic color choices in our yarn chart with the color names
Main Image on top:
- Color 1 is the Main or background color: Camel in our sample
- Color 2 is the Band Triangles: Black in our sample
- Color 3 is the Center Diamond and yarn edge motif Color Red in our sample